Pacific Crest is seeking a communications professional who is interested in volunteering 2-4 hours per week as the organization’s Manager of Communications.
(Click HERE to download the PDF version of this job announcement)
Pacific Crest Youth Arts Organization
Manager of Communications
Volunteer Position (2 – 4 hours per week, depending on time of year)
Founded in 1993, Pacific Crest Southern California’s World Class Drum and Bugle Corps. What makes us unique in the world of Drum Corps International (DCI) is that nearly all our members live in Southern California. As such, Pacific Crest truly represents the Southern California region during DCI’s summer tour.
Like other World Class corps, our program attracts students who want to perform at the highest levels of the marching arts. In addition to DCI competition, Pacific Crest has also appeared in cinema broadcasts, on television shows and commercials, and in world-class venues, including the Orange County Performing Arts Center, Rose Bowl, and Hollywood Bowl.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Manager of Communications will help set and manage strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate Pacific Crest’s mission. The Manager of Communications will ensure that Pacific Crest is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within this diverse network and constituent base.
This individual will not be the sole content creator for Pacific Crest. The Organization already has a number of volunteer staff who provide this content, including social media writers, bloggers, videographers and photographers. The Organization is seeking an individual to (1) augment their work with some content creation, (2) coordinate communications via the creation and management of an editorial calendar, and (3) determine the effectiveness of communication via study of analytics. A strength in various communication platforms is preferred, with an ability to cater messaging for long format, video, social media, donor development, web platform etc.
It is anticipated that the individual may attend some rehearsals and performances; however, most of the work will be remote, and attendance at all corps activities will not be required. Additionally, there is no expectation that the individual will be on tour; however, the Organization can accommodate this if the individual desires it.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the network’s discreet audiences in collaboration with Pacific Crest’s team and constituents
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate.
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and Pacific Crest’s website
- Participate in ongoing development of website administration and coordinationCoordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time
Pacific Crest is seeking a Manager of Communications who has 2-3 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of the marching arts
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Interested applicants should contact Executive Director Stuart Pompel at email@example.com.